Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The 2nd Annual EPIC Oscars Dinner Party [PHOTOS]

Last year's Oscars Dinner Party was such a huge success that my friends and I had to do it again this year. The brief is simple, everyone has to bring a dish, dessert or drink inspired by a Best Picture nominee, which were: 
  • American Hustle
  • Captain Phillips
  • Dallas Buyers Club
  • Gravity
  • Her
  • Nebraska
  • Philomena
  • 12 Years a Slave
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
This time, most of us actually watched the movies AND we had two weeks to plan (instead of a few days), so I had somewhat high expectations for the food. I wasn't disappointed. I was so impressed by my friends' creativity and cleverness--and if not that, their effort--that I'm going to give out awards for the Best Picture award-inspired dishes (see what I did there? INCEPTION.). Here are the winners:

Best Cinematography aka "Use of Instagram Filters" - Peter
Budweiser Tall Boys for Nebraska
Best Last-Minute-Inspired-by-the-Trailer Dish - Ben
Fugazi Fugasi Frisee Salad for The Wolf of Wall Street
Best "I work in Film" Inside Joke - Jason
Angel HAIR ACTING for American Hustle
Best Foreign Surprise - Fiorella and Diego
South American Hustle Empanadas for American Hustle
Best Drunken Munchies - Jared and Kristen
Somali Samosas for Captain Phillips
Best Movie Title Spin-Off - Rachel and Tim
Club House Sandwiches with Mustard & Mayo Syringes for Dallas Buyers Club
Best "I didn't watch the movie but want British Food" Dish - Sean and Zeny
Steak, Ale and Mushroom Pie for Philomena
Best Sugar High - Juno and Stephanie
Momofuku Milk Bar Crack Pies and Baggies of...

Confectioners Sugar! for The Wolf of Wall Street
Best Food for Movie Without Food (and Non-Astronaut Ice Cream Cop Out) - Alex
Moon Pies for Gravity
Most Ambitious Attempt - Hannah
Scarlet Velvet OS cakes for Her
Actual Best Picture Winner-Inspired Dessert - Jared
Warm Blackberry Crumble for 12 Years of Slave
Thank you to everyone who came and contributed. An Oscars dinner party is a great idea for any host who wants their guests to pass out before the Best Picture award is announced, if they haven't passed out already. My only complaint is I have to wait a full year for the next Oscars--what event could I do the next themed dinner party for?

No comments:

Post a Comment