Saturday, February 6, 2010

NYC Restaurant Week: The Secret to MEGU's Platinum Rice

Last night, I had a late restaurant week dinner (10:15 pm was their earliest reservation available) at fancy-shmancy Japanese restaurant MEGU in Tribeca.  I always look forward to restaurant week because I can wear my most ridiculous pair of heels and eat at some of NYC or Boston's best restaurants for $24-$35!

Some friends had told me the RW menu at MEGU is nothing spectacular (I've had better Japanese food in Hawaii) and yelp reviews were mostly negative saying the RW scallops were overcooked, wait was long and food was bland.  I originally had restaurant week reservations for Fig & Olive in the Meatpacking District, but one faithful Saturday morning, Travel Channel's Steak Paradise, a show about the best places in the country for steak, featured MEGU's kobe steak, and at that moment I knew it was time to break my kobe virginity.  I was determined to try Kobe steak for the first time! 

The verdict:
The sauteed scallops in a foie gras teriyaki sauce was really tasty. The two half-dollar coin sized scallops were not over cooked and the sauce was so rich and delicious that I dipped my eel/avocado roll (which I ordered outside of the RW menu) in the leftover sauce.  The oriental salad, which was two slices of raw red snapper on a bed of julienned carrots and daikon with walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds and peanuts drizzled with hot olive oil, was very light and a nice portion the size of my fist.  Then arrived the flaming Kobe steak served on a river stone grill with platinum rice...

WHAT IS 'PLATINUM RICE' YOU ASK? 
This is the question I asked myself when reading the restaurant week menu.  What the hell is platinum rice?  I expected the rice to have a silvery glimmer probably caused by some toxic chemical like the mercury in thermometers.  So when the waiter placed the porcelain bowl of white rice in front of me (I'm already dissapointed by the lack of shimmer), I asked him, "So why is it called platinum rice?"

He looks at me with the you're-not-going-to-believe-me look and says, "it's cooked in Evian water."

Yep.  Wow, what do you say to something like that.  I took a bite of the rice and it tasted like any other white rice.  All in all, the kobe was good, but I'm still a fish-type of girl... and really, Evian?   

No comments:

Post a Comment